Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Predictions For Euro 2012

The Euro 2012 is about to start in a day or so. I am making some predictions just for fun, let’s see how they hold out. 


Group Stages 



Group1:
This is the group of the minnows and that makes it somewhat exciting too as it very difficult to predict who will move ahead. I am backing the Czechs to top the group as they have one of the best goalkeepers in the world - Petr Čech – who on his day can guard his fortress like a wall. Also hoping Greece to get inspired by their 2004 win (though they had a forgettable 2008 campaign) and finish second in the group. 
Group2: 
This is the toughest and the most unpredictable group. Though I would have loved to back Portugal given they have names like Ronaldo, Pepe, Nani etc but I would rather go with the traditional power houses – Netherlands and Germany. It would be really a tall order for any team to challenge a team which has Robben, Van der Vaart and Robin Van Persie or infact Lahm, Muller, Klose and Podolski in the line-up. The Danes will put up a great fight I am sure but unluckily they are pitied against far stronger opponents. Overall, this group promises the most interesting group stage matches. 



Group3: 
Group 3 is another interesting group and promises some delightful moments. Spain should easily top the group given the firepower they have – Casillas, Iniesta, Xavi, Fabregas, Alonso, Torres etc. It should be a cakewalk for them provided their attack lead by Torres fires. Italy has history on their side and good players like Buffon, De Rossi, Pirlo etc but I am not too convinced about their goal scoring ability. I know they have been a defensive side historically and have done great with that style but I’ll still go with Croatia as the dark horses. They don’t have the superstars that other teams have but they play close-knit football and may surprise you with the best team game you’ve seen inspired by Eduardo in the frontline. 

Group4: 
England have a clear upper hand and should have no difficulty in topping the group given names like Cole, Terry, Gerrard and Rooney in the line-up. France have been on a downward spiral ever since Zidane retired and I am not expecting any miracles here. Sweden might hope for a miracle to reach the second round but I am going to put my money on Ukraine. They are absolute underdogs but are very capable of springing up a surprise or two lead by Andriy Shevchenko. Let’s hope for some magic. 







Quarterfinals 
Below are my predictions for the quarters, mostly predictable the only exception being the fourth one where I believe Croatia are capable of staging an upset provided they get their act together in the group stages. 




Semifinals 


Semifinal1:
The first semifinal should be a close fight but I am sure the Germans would like to make up for their loss against the same opponents in the last world cup semifinals. I am giving it to the Germans just by a slight margin owing to the Spanish over dependency on Torres at the front. Absence of Villa is ultimately going to hurt them in the competition. 

Semifinal2:
The second semifinal should be pretty straight forward but let’s hope for some inspirational moments from Croatia. 


Finals
It would be a dream final and may the best team win. There is not much to choose from both the teams and I’ll just follow my gut and say Germans would be the 2012 Euro Champs. 

Remember, these are just predictions and let’s see how good is my reading of the great game. I will be reviewing these doing the course of the competition and at the end of each stage and may have to revise them based on how they turn out at each stage. 


Enjoy and have fun!!

3 comments:

  1. Interesting.. though I don't totally agree.

    Suggestion:
    why not come out with series of blogs - stage matches, QF, SF and then final... this way you would have better hit rate ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to predict the whole tournament before the start. Anyways, I am planning to review and revise them at the end of each stage.

    By the way which parts you don't agree?

    ReplyDelete
  3. well - For one I believe England has a very strong side. Plus I think Italy has better chances than Croatia.

    And if there is ever gonna be a match between Germany & Spain, ESP is gonna win hands down!!

    ReplyDelete